In February 2015 the ACE Centre Nursery School was designated a Teaching School and in March 2016, a National Support School, by the Department for Education. This national recognition of our outstanding work in Early Years education has enabled us to continue the work we started as an Early Years Teaching Centre in 2011.
We are a lead school in an alliance of Teaching Schools in Oxfordshire called the Oxfordshire Teaching School Alliance (OTSA), where we take a leadership role in developing the quality of Early Years Foundation Stage. You can find out more about Teaching schools and our role within OTSA by visiting the OTSA website.
Our focus is to develop sector led improvement through innovation, collaboration and partnership, in the six areas that are required of National Teaching Schools:
- the development of high quality teaching, learning and leadership
- the training of new teachers
- peer to peer learning and professional development
- the designation and deployment of Specialist Leaders of Education (SLEs)
- the identification, nurturing and management of leadership potential
- research and development that puts evidence at the heart of practice
We support settings and schools across the county by providing specialist Early Years continuing professional development, networks, training, school to school support and teacher training, as well as involvement in research and dissemination of good practice.
Supporting professional development locally in schools and settings is particularly relevant in our large rural reach area where access to training may be more difficult. A network of support and inspiration has been welcomed by practitioners as evident in the following comment: