Nursery School Newsletter 8
I hope you all had a nice half term break; it has been lovely welcoming the children back this week.
This week’s Nursery School highlights:
- Snack/Cooking – At the beginning of the week the children made some vegetable soup with Lexy and shared the story ‘Pumpkin Soup’.
- Outside – This week the children have been making some Rangoli patterns using coloured chalk on the ground and discussing Diwali being a festival of light.
- Inside – We have been looking at and discussing photographs of fireworks and bonfires. The children enjoyed talking about the different colours and displays, some were excited as they told us they were going to watch some over the weekend. Together they thought about and made the sounds the fireworks might make. We discussed the loud bangs, and how we feel about them and how to help our pets feel safe! The children then had the chance to create their own firework pictures/paintings if they wished to.
- Forest School – The children in Red & Blue groups had their first fire at forest school today. We worked on independently putting on waterproofs and coats. Ten out of ten for learning the rules to keep safe round the fire! Walk around the outside of the fire circle; turn around to avoid the smoke if it comes your way; we also learnt to scrunch paper, make a peaky point of wood, watch the colours in the flames; and put out fire with lots of water.
Our core book – Oh no George! – This book is about a dog named George who wants to be good. He tries to be good. But he has just seen a cake in the kitchen…..What will he do?!. This book got the children thinking and we discussed new vocabulary such as the meaning of the words – “ruined”, “whole”, “surprised” and “interesting.”
Phonic sounds – We have been recapping the sounds we have covered so far. The children have loved doing the songs/actions and thinking about words that begin or have these sounds in. We have also focused on rhyming words this week through songs, books, and activities, we will continue to explore rhyme next week.
Maths – The focus this week has been shapes, we have looked at 2D shapes and their properties. The children have been spotting shapes in the environment and today at Forest school they went through the square, made a round fire circle, and learnt about why fires are connected to triangles. I wonder what shapes your child can spot at home.
Lending Library – The lending library has proven to be very popular this week. Please do encourage your child to choose a book to enjoy, you can return the book on Friday or
change it daily, please use the bags provided and return the bags with the books so that every child can always pick up a bag to take their book home in.
Xmas4schools project – Your child has created their own special Christmas design at Nursery School. This is a great opportunity to turn their creation into a range of professionally printed products, which you can purchase if you wish to. Next week we will show you the artwork and ask you to complete your contact details on the back so that the company can contact you directly and you can decide whether to make a purchase for Xmas or not. £1 from the purchase of each product will come straight back to the school Friends of the ACE centre fundraising pot. The company will then deliver all orders to Nursery School. Don’t worry you will get a letter explaining this all in more detail.
Our poem this week has been:
I think mice are rather nice
Their tails are long, their faces small
They haven’t any chins at all
Their ears are pink, their teeth are white
They run around the house at night
They nibble things they should not touch
And no one seems to like them much
But I think mice are nice
To help with clear communication here are a few reminders (helpful information):
- *SCHOOL/NURSERY PHOTOS* – Heather will be coming in to take studio photos on Thursday the 10th of November. She will be in with us for the morning and afternoon. We will co-ordinate siblings who are in session to be done together along with individual photos. If you have younger siblings you would like to include we can accommodate this at the beginning of each session, but you will have to allow time for this. Heather will also be taking some individual black and white natural photographs while the children play, so you will have options to choose from. If your child does not normally attend on a Thursday, you are welcome to pop along at the beginning of the AM or PM session and we will fit you in. But again, you will need to
- allow time for this. Heather will then come back in the summer to do a whole Nursery School group photo.
- Don’t forget this week we are running a specialist session, led by our local under 5’s health team on healthy eating. All parents and carers are very welcome. Session to be held at 9.15 in the Rainbow Room and hot drinks provided by our Warm Welcome volunteer.
Have a great weekend
Best wishes Zoe Wakefield